Sunday 29 August 2010

That's it for training rides!

I've done three rides the last three days: 24 miles on Friday, 34 miles yesterday and 54 miles today. (I don't know what's so special about number 4, it just happened that way!) Today was probably the toughest ride I've done as it was very windy. Just cycling along the flat straight by the reservoir, I had to pedal as hard as I could to maintain 10 mph, lugging 8 kg of water in my panniers. The wind was particularly bad on the open ground by Little Baddow, so my average speed of 12.3 mph was pretty respectable. I just hope it's not too windy up in the mountains when I get to Spain. On the plus side, I had a nice slice of coffee and walnut cake at the Paper Mill Lock tea room, and a lovely chicken club sandwich at the General's Arms. I think I've got my eating and drinking sorted now. Whilst it was hard work today, I could quite easily have cycled another 15-20 miles.


So no more training rides - today's ride is hopefully on a par with the non-mountain stages on my route. I'm going to box my bike up tomorrow, as I will have a busy week at work, and might not get enough time. If I can, I'll go out for a couple of evening rides on my bike with the curly bars, just to keep the legs ticking over.

The Vuelta A EspaƱa started yesterday, so I shall be watching that. Mark Cavendish is in the red jersey after two stages.

No comments:

Post a Comment